Friday, May 05, 2006

Serendipity

I just finished watching Serendipity for the first time. I don't think I've ever been less fit for marriage than I am right now. I really wonder, though... I know that we make choices - our entire existence and progression thrives on that. But we also know through experiences we've had, personal and otherwise, that often there is a guiding power in the things that happen and the choices we make. Of course I don't write of destiny. I allude to nothing short Divinity. The quandary still puzzles me: which of our choices are entirely our own, and which do we have so little to do with, that we are merely acting out what was meant to be? And if it so seems that many experiences which are given heavenly credit are good ones, what is to be understood of the not so positive ones? Are we to take credit of all the plights that plague us? Or give the commendation for these great "learning experiences" to others that are involved? I suppose the solution to it all is to be grateful for whatever comes and learn what we can from it. Who thought that a romantic comedy would take me on such a journey of introspective philosophical thought?

I've been thinking about you girls a lot lately! I thought about you yesterday when I went to Ann Taylor to work on my New York wardrobe and needed some fashion consultants. I think of our dear Jo in faraway Africa learning clicking language and saying, "Oganawambula" when she can't think of anything else. I sure do think the world of you girls!

No comments: