Saturday, May 06, 2006

Our First News From Just North of the Rainbow Nation

I'm sure you all got this too, but here's the first email from Jo (and I picture I just found on google -- she'll have to tell us if it really looks like this when she gets back!):

Hey guys!
I just wanted to email everyone because I do not know when I will get the chance to send email again. We found this internet cafe in maputo that we can pay to go to. Things are going pretty well here, thought the conditions are pretty rough. It has been pretty warm for their fall season, and we just sweat a lot since it is so humid. Showers are cold, mosquitos are a plenty, lizards, frogs, cockroaches and many other unnamable insects are all around, we live in dirt and mud although we are in a town called machava and not out in the bush. The people are amazing and kind and happy, although so many of them live in such horrible conditions. We will probably start teaching on Monday. We came into the city today with about 60 people and a chicken on a bus that should have fit only about 20, but it was a definite adventure. The area is beautiful, especially the coast. They are working on building up the tourism here, and so they have a couple of nice hotels and things, but they are nowhere near where we are staying. There are so many things going on and different things to explain that I cannot take the time, but I just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I am here and safe and in Africa!!! I hope everything is ok at home and everything. I do not know when I will email again, but I am sure that we will try again in a while, so you can email me if you want and I might get it, but I might not respond personally because of time. Love you all!
Tchau
Joanna

No comments: