Friday, May 12, 2006

Hello ladies! I decided to write to post here instead of write to my family, so I hope you appreciate it! Things here in Mozambique are amazing! We didn't have water for a couple of days, so I am now grateful for the bucket of water that I have to pour in the toilet to flush it and the water coming out of the spout in the shower even though I end up sharing it with frogs and mosquitos. It is so amazing to get to know the students here and learn more about them and their lives. My feet are never clean because I usually wear flip-flops and it is so dirty. I am teaching english to two advanced students every morning, and then we all do different activities during the day and evening. We go to bed pretty early because the students start waking up at around 5:30 and we are usually up by 6:30. We pretty much wake up with the sun. My portuguese is getting a little better, but it is harder to understand here because they speak more like Portugal and also have their own intonation. They also almost all speak Xhangana - one of the native languages in the area. I have learned a few words and will have to share them with you later. I don't have much more to write pretty much because I won't know where to stop, but I hope all is well. The picture that Sarah posted looks kind of like some areas or neighborhoods around here, but it is pretty dry right now since we are moving out of the rainy season. There is definitely a lot of poverty here, but the people are full of heart and have so many hopes and dreams for their country. Here at the school, about 1 out of 10 people have HIV/AIDS, and they have a big program going on to raise awareness for that. It is great! I love you all and hope that your summers are going well. Tchau from Machava!

No comments: