Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sisterhood


Webster Dictionary gives the definition of "sisterhood" as "the solidarity of women based on shared conditions, experiences, or concerns." This week I have realized that we four white mothers have reached this degree of unity. As I talked with two white mothers that have already been reunited, I began to wish that the four of us were all together again. I began to long for the quaint little apartment we shared that was filled with giggling, teasing, and tears. This past week I received a text from a fellow white mother that caused me to come to a certain realization - we have formed a bond that will last a lifetime. We have developed not only a friendship, but a sisterhood. You are all my sisters, and I know that no matter what happens (whether it involves awkward and somewhat spastic conversations, logorrhea, spilt hot chocolate, or criminal abetment in gummy shenanigans), I will always have three girls that will love me unconditionally. I don't know if you remember a television series entitled "Sisters" that aired from 1991-1996, but the show's following tagline is a perfect summation of our relationship:


"The men in your life may leave you,
Children grow up, parents pass away.
The only ones who are there for you,
From cradle to grave,
Are your sisters."


I know the whole part about the men of your life leaving is a little extreme (and probably not something that any of the white mothers should think about since we're already terrified of it occurring), but I feel that the rest of it impeccably describes sisters. It describes us.




2 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful. I award you the Nobel prize in blogging. Beautiful.

Sarah said...

I have tears in my eyes and must keep blinking as I am in public. Why must you write such touching things, Whitney? When are you coming back to me?