Sunday, July 16, 2006

Just Breathe

Hello lovies! There is a man named Tony at a hotel in London that would say that to me and my friend Ashlee every morning. Sometimes I wonder about him. I wonder about people that work at cheap hotels. And I wonder how they get there. And why they stay there. Apparently Tony is still around since Ashlee has been saying there and getting the same morning greeting as we did four years ago. Interesting. I've decided to follow Jo's fabulous stream of consciousness writing style. It always makes me happy.

Tonight I had such a great time with some friends that came over. You know in Fried Green Tomatoes, how at the end the Ms. Threadgoode says she figured out what the secret of life is? I think she's right: Friends. Best friends. Which is what makes me miss you girls so much, but also makes me thankful for the good friends I have been able to make in other places. I can't believe I'm leaving in three weeks. Three weeks. It makes me really sad to think about saying goodbye to this place. I never thought I'd say that. But it's just like the R.E.M. song, "Leaving New York, never easy..." It's true. Speaking of music, I got two phone calls today from people who called because songs that they heard reminded them of me. Can I just say that makes me really happy? I love being associated with good music in people's minds.

Have you heard of couch surfing? I am so intrigued by it. A guy I met at church today, named Kellen, came over and we visited for a few hours. He showed me couchsurfing.com. Which is a worldwide network of people that are willing to let you sleep on their couch/floor/bed, whatever. For free. He actually knows a girl that couch surfed her way through Europe. Isn't that incredible? It reminded me of when I got a letter from Meredith while I was on my mission. She was in Corsica, hitchhiking, and staying with random people she met in piazzas. If I had one of you with me, I would totally couch surf. We should some time. Just for the heck of it. Even if it's not in an exotic place. Just for the heck of it. Oh, I just said that. But really, wouldn't it just be fun to let the wind blow you wherever it wanted? Anyone in?

So, for Prague - I wrote to one of my teacher-friends from high school that I knew had been to Prague. She is putting me in touch with her best friend in the whole wide world, who is actually living in Prague, in an old castle just outside the city. Yeah, I said castle. I would be mucho grateful if she'd hook me up!

I'm so tired. Well, I guess my thoughts are fairly organized despite my attempt to let them "stream." Have you ever wanted to not like someone for something that they do, and then realized that you do it too? I had one of those moments this morning. Not that we should try to not like people, just sometimes we need to. To make life easier. Goodnight.

No comments: