Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Core.

It's an interesting word, isn't it? Not as fun to say as pith, but ultimately with the same meaning: the crux, the essence, the nub. I don't think it's coincidence that a very similar word - cuore - is Italian for 'heart.' I've been thinking a lot about what is in my core, what really makes me who I am, and what makes me tick - either to progress or stand still. It seems that as I have interacted with a vast array of different people in the past few months, I have heard of countless life-altering experiences. Courses in the history of art that changed the way one visually perceives everything in the world. Voyages to Africa that forever transformed the gratitude that one feels for things from possessions to health. I've found myself in conversations, telling of my own experiences and people have said, "Wow, that must have changed your life." Yes. That's my immediate response. But the question is, has it really? Or was it only a temporary change? I suppose at this moment I am a sum of all of the experiences I have had and sought and every choice I've made. But I'm convinced that there's something more to changing than simply passing through an experience and then moving on with life. Or am I wrong? Perhaps. All I know is that someone has apparently left his cruel core behind. Maybe he's left his core behind entirely. Or maybe it never existed.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Can I comment on this blog? :) After all, I know all of you but one. Sarah, that was such a deeply profound comment. It's one of those things that I would like to read over and over and ponder upon it. Do I really learn from my experiences and allow them to change me from the better? It's something I want to work on... Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. You should publish them in the Ensign.

On another note, JJ, is your e-mail down? I e-mailed you a few weeks ago and have not heard back. I have decided that you must be taking your time and revising it so you can come up with a perfectly clever e-mail (like "You've Got Mail"). Never fear, I'll wait for it patiently.