Monday, July 10, 2006

Flingingness

Hmmmm....I do feel that I have to make some reply to the previous post by our Uptown Girl. As I read the reflections regarding the fling, I can't help but think that there could have been an ulterior motive. Could it be that our fellow white mother is worried that the other three white mothers might realize that she now has the opportunity for a fling, but is reneging on the summer-fling agreement? Is she worried that we will pressure her into a fling with someone? If that is true, so be it. I don't mind that opportunities for flings are not taken, but I still write in defense of summer flings. The best season of the year (fall) should be kept for serious relationships. Flings are generally reserved for the summer because it is a time of transition and relocation, as well as fun. When one is in a place solely for a season (generally summer), flings are definitely more likely. Sure, you can pretend it is more than a fling, but what happens when fall comes? Long distance relationships are not easy on anyone, as previous experiences within the four white mothers circle have shown. Ah, well, really it just comes down to opportunity. If a fling develops into a full-fledged relationship, is there anything wrong with that? I think not. I still disagree with the idea that wanting to get some summer-lovin' is bad. Really, though, I think that all of us realize that we have failed in this department so far anyway and that is what stings. One mother, though, now has a golden opportunity and should not feel that she has to take it. If she would like to let it pass her by, so be it. The opportunity for summer flings will soon pass for all of us, although there are still some weeks left...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't think that the opportunity is quite as clear as some may assume... Even me.