Friday, August 18, 2006

A Response, A Quandary, and A Useful Device

Response:

Yes, sometimes we (I) are (am) awfully vague in blogging. It becomes necessary at certain times... you know, to protect the innocent... like me!

Quandary:

Have you ever noticed that modernity has only really attempted to make strides artistically by resisting and rejecting all of the norms and conventions established throughout history? Take a modern art class, listen to a Radiohead album, stroll through a wing of the MoMA, or read some contemporary poetry and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you do know what I'm talking about. We have accepted urinals and blank canvases as art. We have spent millions of dollars supporting ambient noise as the new cool in the music world. We see profound meaning in words that don't fit and are grammatically incorrectly strung together.

And yet.

I don't have a problem with it. I believe that rejection of orthodoxy is not only positive at times, but also a necessary step in progression. It keeps things interesting. My concern comes in when what we accept as art jumps off the Barnes & Noble shelves, the galleries and the CD collections and into our personal interactions with each other. Not even personal interactions. Business interactions. Professional ones.

I recently received an email from a former employer that was written without a single capital letter. Am I justified in my disgust?

I thought so.

A Useful Device:

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished your cell phone would ring? Maybe you wanted to look extra important or popular on a social outing. Or maybe you just needed an excuse to escape from an unpleasant one. That is the idea that inspired Popularity Dialer. With 5 pre-programmed conversations, you choose who you want to have call (man, woman, cousin), the date, and time. The first five calls are free. Try it. You'll like it.

New goal for the four white mothers? Use the Popularity Dialer at least once in the next month. Then blog about your tales.

P.S.

What ever happened to the apartment sweater?

No comments: