Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Saturday Delight

Last night Nigel and I went to a delightful film: Amelie. I've wanted to see the movie for the longest time but haven't been able do to an R rating. Well, BYU showed it in their international cinema the other night, and we went. How can they? you ask. Well, long ago BYU edited them, but someone had to WATCH it to edit it. Some person in higher places realized the irony/problems with having one student watch what was considered inappropriate to save the masses. So editing was done away with. If I recall, there were some problems with the whole changing of films/copyright thing as well. Enter modern technology with a new invention: the clean DVD player. Here's how it works: the DVD automatically skips any questionable part. If I understand correctly, you can go online and find the scenes that would be a problem, program the DVD player, and it skips it without actually having to change the film. Of course this entire process brings up several ideas--legal and otherwise--for a forum, but I don't have the time to write it all. The real news is that this movie was wonderful--fresh, funny, insightful, beautifully filmed, entertaining, etc. If you get the chance, see it. To start off the night, we went to a European bakery by our house (La Brioche) and bought pastries. Nice night.

Other than that I can't wait for Thanksgiving break. I'm ready for a couple days off. I have about 60 essays to grade between now and Tuesday. Think I can do it? We'll see. Love you all and miss you.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I *adore* Amelie. It is seriously one of my favorite films of all time. I first saw it while I was in Belgium and my roommate had a copy she had purchased from clean flicks. Oh, the days.... The good news is my current roommate has a Clear Play DVD player -- the kind that Jenny mentioned. We haven't bought the membership required to actually cut questionable scenes, but the prospect is there.