Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Theories

I've developed some new theories about my unemployment. I've never had a hard time getting a job that I wanted (up until now), so going on four months of unemployment has been a new and humbling experience for me. Here are my theories about why it's lasted so long.

1. The economy (obviously) - this is a big one... I apply for positions and they get cancelled, new jobs aren't posted, etc.

2. I am a young-ish, married BYU graduate living in Utah. This is my most recent idea about why I've been unable to get a job. I had my thoughts about it while I was still at BYU and interviewed with a few companies in Utah (not sure if you remember), but the ring on the finger is like the nail in the coffin. Since I've been unemployed, I've submitted applications for 36 positions, interviewed for more than 10 of those, and had second (or third) interviews for several. This destroys my theory about being a bad interviewer, because if I were really awful, I don't think they'd be calling me back. So, my strongest theory at this point is that I can't get hired because I'm a girl, I'm married (one step closer to baby) and they think I'm going to get pregnant any day now which means I'll last 9 months to a year at most, when they'll have to go through the hiring process all over again. It's times like this I wish I had gone into nursing or teaching - two fantastic, respectable professions that seem a little less subjected to this sexist rule.

3. God is trying to teach me a very important lesson that I haven't learned yet and will only see the meaning of in years to come.

4. I needed the time to get my own business rolling.

5. I'm supposed to be working on family history, volunteering, humanitarian aid projects, and serving the elderly in my now abundant free time. (this goes along with the lessons God is trying to teach me)

6. I'm supposed to have a baby. Now. (not sold on this one, just a theory)

Thoughts?

2 comments:

J-E said...

Go for the baby. :) Funny thing, I mentioned to N. the other day that I should call you and say something to that sort...only joking of course. I'm sure it I was out of work, I'd be wondering what the next step would be. Perhaps you are supposed to start an entirely new career path, and you haven't discovered it yet.

P.S. I know with getting my teaching job I felt more secure being single. Principals often worry about losing new teachers to marriage and pregnancy.

Jeff and Whitney said...

I don't really know what to say except to relax. I don't think it matters a ton at this point why. I just think you should have fun with it. Enjoy it and if you want have a baby. I mean you're definitely in a situation where that is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, so...go for it! Ha ha ha, I mean only do it if that's what you feel comfortable with doing. But definitely relax and continue serving and enjoying your business. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be employed, or could be back in school again. Oh man...jobs...bleh! Who need em! Every time you get confused just think of all those holidays (like Halloween coming up) that you thought to yourself at work, "Wouldn't it be nice to at least have a half day?" Now you don't have to think that and can love life until your new job opportunity comes along!