Monday, February 04, 2008

Just Saying Hello...in Cyberspace

I often have an urge to write a blog, but then I stop simply because I don't feel I have some extraordinary event to reveal. However, I decided today that blogs didn't have to be "intensely interesting"--I could simply tell you all about life. So I will title this list "Things from Recent Life."

1. If your husband wants you to watch a film that he claims is great and he loved it when he was a kid, be afraid. Usually these movies are not what he remembered them as. Actually, it goes both ways: we've both vowed never to watch a movie the other found "amazing" as a teenager.

2. There is nothing more thrilling than having a student say,"I adore this" in reference to Shakespeare. Did I hear that correctly? And then to have a guy say, "It's pretty cool actually." Be still my heart. But I suppose anyone would enjoy writing like "My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words / of that tongue's utterance, yet I know the sound." Ok, at least I do. So pretty.

3. The older I get, the more I cry. The slightest thing sets me off. I cry at songs, pictures, movies, etc. In fact, I saw Rudy again and cried when he got accepted into Notre Dame. Literally cried. We sang "I Know My Reedemer Lives" in church, I saw President Hinckley's name at the bottom without a death date, and I couldn't get through the rest of the song. We saw Dan in Real Life this weekend, and I cried at the "card" his daughter made him and then when he told all his daughters how they reminded him of his late wife.

4. I made banana bread. I actually used all the brown bananas in the freezer and made banana bread. Why is this important? Well...it's mostly for Jo's sake: I had to prove to her that I eventually get around to doing something with the pile of bananas in the freezer. Also, in anticipation of Sarah's wedding, I realized Jo would be in my house, and I had to start get rid of the cache I've collected.

And those are the big events of the month. I know, I know...you wish your life were as thrilling.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I love this kind of blog! It makes me feel like I am chatting to you about your day. I also appreciate the banana part, though I do have to say that they don't bother me half as much when they are in someone else's freezer, just when they sit forever in my freezer. Haha! Didn't you love Dan in Real Life? I just really like the family dynamics as well as the dramatic teenage daughter that was so desperately in love. Miss you!

Sarah said...

I just re-read this whole post... I totally cry more too. On Sunday the high council speaker read one of his daughter's letters (she's on a mission in France) and I was bawling. Spencer was looking at me like, "who is this woman?" and when I could finally gain enough composure to mutter, "it makes me miss my mission..." the tears started all over again. Oh and Rudy and Dan in Real Life. Totally.