Thursday, January 17, 2008

Front Room Conversation

At times during my recent renewal of the application process, I have often thought how great it would be if I had the 4WMs with me. Just the other day I was picturing sitting on the couch in the front room of Hampstead #7 in the evening. Here's how the scene went...

Jo: I really hate this application process. Don't I deserve better? I feel like my whole life is on this one little paper and it can't, in any way, encompass who I am or how I would succeed at a job.

Whitney: (sitting on the loveseat with her laptop also on her lap looking up grad schools instead of working on her lesson plan) I know, seriously! I hate feeling like I have to sell myself to someone else!

Jen: (sitting at the other end of my couch with her feet tucked up under a blanket while she falls asleep and tries to grade) If you grade these essays for me, I'll do your applications for you. Where do these kids learn their grammar anyway?

The door bursts open and in a flurry of cold air, Sarah runs into the room and slides across the floor on her way to the window to get a good look at someone in the courtyard with his significant other.

Sarah: Shoot! I can't see her face! You guys have all seen her and I haven't. Oh, Jo, did you get my email? I sent you links to 17 different jobs that I think you would totally be great for! Also, I have a friend who knows someone....

Anyway, do you get my point? I was just thinking of this scenario and smiling a little as I continue to miss my 4WMs.

Things here haven't changed much. My week pretty much consists of going walking, calling into work to see if they need me to come in (which they invariably don't), running errands, doing little chores, applying for jobs, and going to Institute. I head out to Arizona next week and then will drive back with one of my sisters. They are all coming out to go to a Garth Brooks (don't laugh) benefit concert for the fire victims next Saturday at the Staples Center. Chelsea wanted to have a girls outing (the 4 of us and my mom), but David caught wind of it and really wants to come as well. So, the five of us will leave the kids behind and head up to LA for one of 5 sold-out Garth Brooks concerts in 2 days. I hope he's not too tired to perform. After that, if I haven't heard anything from this recent spate of applications, I will probably head to Borders or Barnes and Noble to beg for a job that has more than 20 hours a week.

I love you all and get so excited to read your updates. Keep em' coming! Oh, and Jen, I really feel like I am in closer contact with Kate and your mom than you - we need to work on that. I will try to call you soon.

1 comment:

J-E said...

Oh that made me so sad yet smiley all at the same time. I could practically SEE Whitney with the laptop and Sarah running in with some news. Of course I have a blanket!! I even wrap a blanket around me at breakfast. It's so cold in our house! It made me wish for a reunion. Blast...if only there were a Garth Brooks concert in the area....hahahaha (Side note: Aren't I the one from Nebraska?) Anyway, we do need to catch up. I tried calling on Sunday, so let me know when you can chat.