Friday, January 04, 2008

books and tapes and other stuff

I've recently become obsessed with audio books. Listening to them helps me feel intelligently productive during times that I would otherwise be bored and/or killing brain cells from the drudgery of daily tasks like my commute to work. I check them out from the library (which for some reason feels like a recent discovery -- I reserve all my movies, books and CDs there online and they tell me when to pick them up, so I feel like it's a slightly modified and free version of netflicks) and listen to them in the car, and - depending on the day/CD - at work. Right now I'm listening to Blink on my commute and This I Believe at work. The funny thing is I still call them "books on tape." Oh, and I think all of you should join goodreads.com so we can be friends on there and keep track of what each other are reading and what is good and what is not so good. Do it.

For Christmas, Spencer and I spent most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at my parents' house which was really nice and quiet and warm and delicious. Other than that, my "holidays" consisted of getting New Year's Day off to get my life moderately organized for 2008, seeing Juno twice, and eating way too much. I've discovered that as far as the holidays, you make do with what you've got. I had two days off for Christmas and one day off for New Year's so they felt like really nice little breaks. If I had more than that, I'd probably feel the same way. Or at least that's what I try to tell myself everyday.

Every week or so, I have something to remind me that I'm in grown up land now. Things like car payments, investments, etc. This week it's traveling for work. On Sunday I will fly to Vegas for one week before I come back for a day and then turn around to leave for San Francisco for another week. I'm not sure yet because my experience in this department is severely limited, but I'm pretty sure that traveling for work is not nearly as cool as traveling for any other purpose.

Whitney, are you in Utah? Jenny, thanks for the lovely Christmas party. :) Jo, it was so so good to see you in California. We need to do that more often. Love you all.

No comments: