Monday, January 01, 2007

First Post of the New Year


Since I have regrettably been the most disappointing blogger, I felt that I might be able to redeem my failure to blog by trying to start afresh in the New Year and be the first of the Four White Mothers to post. Looking back at this past semester, I realize that it was a bizarre semester. Then as I look to the upcoming semester, I have decided that, knowing me, it will probably be equally as strange. The New Year always makes me anxious for the future and the unknown, and there are several things about myself that I have rediscovered - I hate making decisions that are life altering, I hate growing up and all that entails, and I really hate confrontation. Life would be better if we could know the consequences of all our decisions, if we could live in a carefree existence, and if things could be solved through avoidance and disregard. Okay, okay…so maybe this may not sound like a Utopian existence to you, but it’s nice to pretend that this type of life would be fulfilling and enjoyable. Let’s just hope that I will grow up and be able to follow through on decisions that are not pleasant, enjoyable, or even clear in what consequences will follow them. A friend said that their favorite quote was the following statement by Hyrum Smith: "Character is following through with a decision after the emotion of making the decision has passed.” I obviously lack character, but I am working on it…Following through is a lot easier said than done. Bleh. And on that happy note…

HAPPY NEW YEAR! May this year’s experiences bring joy, happiness, love, and laughter to our lives (so that kind of came out sounding like a Chinese fortune cookie, but I was trying to be optimistic after my depressing New Year blog…my hopefulness was kind of a failure, but at least I finally published my post).

No comments: