Sunday, April 30, 2006

Global Night Commute

Today I decided to check on the other white mothers to see how they were coping with the recent separation. It seems that I, somehow, have become the only white mother without a post on our blog. So I am now making my first official contribution to our relationship-strengthening network of blogging.


Being home for several days with my family has been a sort of regeneration period. It is comforting to be in a place where you know that you are loved unconditionally. My family proved their affection and devotedness as they followed me to Chapel Hill for, as my dad puts it, "a save the world thing." We were able to take part in the Global Night Commute at the UNC campus on Saturday night for the Northern Uganda crisis. I was somewhat disappointed not to find an eclectic assortment of "flower power" and "love not war" college students hoping to provide the world with some sort of liberation and deliverance through global awareness and participation. Instead, the campus quad was only filled with about fifty people that seemed to be so...well...normal. What a disappointment. There were no political debates, no heated discussions on strategies or solutions to attain world peace, and no conversations about enticing humanitarian adventures to third world countries. Oh well. At least my family and I were able to accomplish what was the most important part of the experience - writing the letters to President Bush and our senator, Elizabeth Dole.

While I am sure that our participation in a demonstration where everyone sleeps on the ground will not change the world or even save the children in Northern Uganda, I do hope that it will raise awareness for the crisis. I was also glad to have chosen the UNC campus as the place to take part in the commute. I have always wondered if I should have at least considered applying to UNC instead of being so headstrong about only wanting to go to BYU. But last night settled any doubts or skepticism that remained about BYU being the right choice.

The quad being at the center of campus gave me a glimpse into the college experience I would have received if I had gone to Chapel Hill. While the quintessential eastern college campus that UNC is able to provide has always appealed to me, my first insight into a typical college student's Saturday night was just what I needed to check any remaining curiosity or craving for that type of collegiate experience.

As I read the other posts, I realized that each white mother seems to be going through the same dilemma at the moment - uncertainty. However, my uncertainty is a different kind. Mine is an uncertainty of what the next four months will entail, not because there are numerous unknown adventures that could unexpectedly occur, but because I am not sure if anything exciting will occur at all this summer. Who knows...perhaps this summer will end up being one of the best of my life. Maybe a summer fling will be found in the hot, humid weeks that await me. In spite of these thoughts, I can't help but feel like the Tibby of the group - at home while the rest of the sisterhood traipses around the world having glorious, life-changing excursions.

Maybe tomorrow will bring me the adventure I so desperately crave. As much as I would like that to be true, I know life is only what you make of it. If I want adventure, I have to go and find it (although, I am not sure what type of adventure lies in Clemmons, NC). Nevertheless, I suppose I should remember the advice that Professor Keating gave his students in his first lecture - "Carpe diem!"

So no matter where we all find ourselves this summer, I hope we will all seize the day.

No comments: