Saturday, May 15, 2010

Motherhood: Brief Thoughts

It was Sunday, and I was in the mothers' lounge...nursing. There was something about holding a baby while wearing a skirt and heels that made me realize how much my life has changed. When I explained this to me older sister, she responded with, "Really? Pushing out a baby and bleeding for a few weeks afterwards didn't do that?" My response: "That felt more like physical exertion. Church is where I really start to understand what's changed." Why? Let's look at the highlights of last week:

First hour: Left after 15 minutes to calm down fussy baby. Walked upstairs to the "overflow" room (really the room for babies and children) to find three other mothers in the exact same position. Smiled at them and tended to child. Walked back and forth, patted, and soothed said child to sleep. Returned to main meeting with 10 minutes left.

Second hour: Held sleeping child as arms ached. Left to breastfeed after 30 minutes. Sat in mothers' lounge. Realized I was wearing a loose shirt to both hide my tummy and facilitate easy access for feeding. Crossed legs. Saw heels. Laughed about new existence.

Third hour: Dad's turn.

I'm amazed by people who have more than one child.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You now have the perfect excuse to never again endure a boring talk or unprepared lesson. Just kidding... (sort of).

Joanna said...

Sarita is so right - all it takes is a little pinch of a chubby little baby leg and you have at minimum 10 minutes of freedom. I sigh with jealousy. Just kidding. Now you have access to those mother's nursing rooms that I always feel uncomfortable in and you belong! Weird.