Thursday, March 05, 2009

I'm a Stalker

For some bizarre reason, I've been pondering the blogging world lately. (Forgive me, My4WM, if this is too personal-sounding of a blog for a coauthored site.) Although this online-writing world seems basic (review the day/week, post your thoughts, attempt to sound witty, add some links, etc.), there's actually a complex, interconnected sub-existence to blogging. And I think blog-stalking is at the heart of it. I have a confession: I online stalk (my students would say "stock") several poor souls. Squandering time to religiously follow the lives of people I have never met (...or people I've met but they wouldn't remember me...or people I've read about on a stalkee's blog...or people I've read about in newspapers) relaxes me. I feel sneaky without being creepy. Embarrassingly enough, my sister and I have discussed people we pretend to know, and we can sketch out a decent picture of their lives. It's like a hobby. But I have to wonder if it's a healthy habit. So I'm cutting back. Time limits. Certain days of the week. Only when grading is done. A self-rationing process. Before I stop cold, though, I have to ask...

Am I alone in this? If so, I will try to break my addiction entirely. If not, please let me know. Even better, if you are blog-stalking this site, drop an anonymous post, and I will feel vindicated in my comfortable, incognito life behind the computer. 

Also, moving day is fast approaching. We don't have to make a decision until April 15, but I'm struggling. We've created a pro/con template for the schools in each city, but I feel we should consider the wishes of friends (who might visit us) and possible internet stalkers (who might like to hear about the day-to-day in a specific part of the US). Where should we go?

1. Pasadena, CA
2. Santa Barbara, CA
3. Boston, MA
4. Madison, WI
5. Ithaca, NY

7 comments:

Sarah said...

J-E, I have to think that your question is obviously not directed towards me... because, let's just be honest, am I not one of the founders of the blog/internet stalking foundation? Speaking of which, I have recent information which indicates the recent engagement of a former, er, friend... to a certain russian girl.

Also, is your list of potential residences in any particular order? I find it interesting that they are numbered. I can send you a full spreadsheet of pros/cons and ideals with point values assigned if you like. I'm the master of analyzing decisions that I hate the idea of making...

J-E said...

Oh, Sarita. We need to hang out more. I miss you. Of course, I know that you are a stalker--in fact, you introduced me to it. So feel proud. Right now, we have no order, although some appeal to me more than others.

Whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney said...

We may end up in Pasadena. Wouldn't that be weird? That's one of our choices. But I find it hard to live in a town that is the setting of a scandalous movie like "The Graduate." I haven't seen it, but let's be honest, I have never heard of Pasadena mentioned in any other context. That sounds kind of sad now that I say it out loud. Jeff insists it's still a good place, but I am skeptical. I guess that's a con you can add to your list. I am personally trying to persuade Jeff to go to Boston or NY, but the cold is a hard con to ignore. I loved your post. It was so very Jenny. I think we all know we're blog stalkers. In fact, there is this couple that is friends with Jeff's best friend and his wife. I have never met them personally, but I have read their blog. Sometimes I forget that I don't actually know them. It gets really embarrassing when Jeff's bf and wife start telling a story about their friends and I suddenly start to interject with forgotten details...ohh, it's bad. I mean, how do you explain that? You can't. It's just pitiful.

Genny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Well, I just read your blog, and I don't know who you are.

Katydid said...

Ha, we stalkers must unite. You guys know I stalk right? This is late...but funny, I gave myself the same rules recently. BTW, I stalk an ex-boyfriend's sister site. In my defense, she is really cool and a runner.